4. Using EFA indicators
This section complements Section 5.3 in Module A3 by highlighting ways and means to use school data and indicators to make decisions, plan, monitor and manage progress towards EFA especially at school and decentralized levels of the education administration.
There are many ways to use EFA indicators in school and local areas. With a functional school records management system (SRMS), many additional indicators other than those described in Module A3 can be effectively used to improve school management and to support decision-making processes in local areas with respect to the EFA aspects of:
- Universal access, participation and completion in basic education
- Quality of education
- Learning achievements and outcomes
- Gender equality
- Impact of education
The following sections describe how to use school data and indicators to track progress in these EFA aspects at the school and local level. School managers and personnel, and also education officers at all levels of the education system, can draw ideas from these sections about effective and innovative ways of using school data and indicators to improve EFA monitoring and decision-making.
Review Module A3 and compare the practices it described with the practices you use in your school/district/province, and then answer the following questions:
- Which EFA indicators are most relevant and frequently used in your school, local area, district, or province?
- What difficulties have you encountered while producing and interpreting these indicators?
- Which other education indicators are also especially important for your school, local area, district, or province?